re: virus: more important than love

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 14:10:48 MST

It seems like all the answers center around communication and interaction, which I was thinking of as Casey's Love Team. I suppose one must have some grander view of humankind to live that way (which I don't think is too much to ask). I think I see where my bf was going (and he's seldom willing to discuss) - that Love between two people, while wonderful, is surpassed in value by Casey's Love Team, comprised of communication, interaction, and the resulting connection. It is these things that move humanity forward and upward. It is also these things that make us feel less alone (or not alone at all!) (not counting religiousness). [Love between two people is selfish in the sense that it pleases the self and doesn't aim for a "higher purpose", at least not primarily, though great things have been accomplished around it. And that's a great thing too - I love selfishness, I think more people need to be more honest and selfish and we'd all be less conflicted and easily manipulated.] The pursuit of knowledge and understanding seems to be a separate thing, and could rival CLT, but I wonder how valuable it is without the ability to convey it and see recognition and knowledge in a listener. Or just compare notes. I suppose if it is pure and gratifying without communication necessary, the person who places that highest would be truly self-sufficient and could actually go live in a cave and contemplate the navel and not go crazy. (wow!)

I just wanted to say thanks for all the very thoughtful responses! The church has truly nourished my soul in a dark moment and I appreciate it. It's a nice balance to all the crankiness going around.