virus: The end of freedom... News from the frontlines

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 15:44:30 MST

Freedom's just another word for what we will not have...

I keep noticing cross-post messages contrasting the Free "Secular" US with
all those terrible undemocratic Islamic nations. These posts bearing subject
lines beginning "The end of freedom..." are intended to focus in our minds
the freedoms we appear to be electing to sacrifice in the anticipation of a
temporary security.

The questions I see as significant right now are:
How many freedoms can be sacrificed before it will be impossible to tell the
difference between US and Them?
If we were to reach the point where our freedoms are as limited as those in
any terrible undemocratic Islamic nation, will we still appear to be a
viable target for terrorist activity?
If we do manage to reach this point, will we still be advocating our
freedoms as justification of the justice of our cause?
Given that I have just finished a news report
[http://www.politechbot.com/p-03021.html accessed 2001-01-11] which states
that Al Gore garnered more votes than any Presidential candidate other than
Ronald Reagan, isn't it time we stopped refering to Islamic states as
undemocratic?

Regards

Hermit <Reporting from the Theocratic Republic of Amerika>
===

Source: http://www.politechbot.com/p-03022.html accessed 2001-01-11

Calif gov. Davis' election year ploy: Tap Internet and telephones

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/01/08/MN206009.DTL

    Davis calls for added wiretap authority
    PRIVACY: State could track e-mail, Net use
    Lynda Gledhill, Chronicle Sacramento Bureau Tuesday, January 8, 2002

    Sacramento -- Gov. Gray Davis wants to give state and local police
    broad new powers to obtain wiretaps and monitor e-mail, a proposal
    likely to inflame civil libertarians and set up a showdown with
    members of his own party in the Legislature.

    George Vinson, Davis' security adviser, said yesterday the expanded
    wiretap capabilities -- which mirror those given by Congress to
    federal agents after the Sept. 11 attacks -- would give more tools to
    state police investigating potential terrorist activities.

    [...]

---
Coverage in LAT and WP follows. Cohen's story also explores some
precedents on state and fed roles in legislation impacting civil
liberties--"The last thing we need is 50 FBIs, some of them effectively
accountable to no one."
--XJ
<<Wednesday January 09 10:12 AM EST
Davis' Wiretap Plan Smells a Lot Like Reelection Insurance
<http://www.latimes.com/news/yahoo/la-000002028jan09.column?coll=la%2Dnews
aol%2Dheadlines>
Finally, we can all breathe a sigh of relief.
Gov. Gray Davis (news - web sites), in a sure-fire plan to keep Al Qaeda
terrorists at bay in California, is going to make it easier for every
podunk police department to snoop into e-mail files and listen in on phone
calls.
Barney Fife takes out Osama bin Laden (news - web sites). That's the
legislation Davis is pushing up the hill, anyway. And I don't know about
you, but I haven't felt this secure since Davis bravely stepped in front
of TV cameras and warned us about unspecified threats against unspecified
bridges at unspecified times.
For the sake of discussion, let's say Al Qaeda forces are using Rancho
Cucamonga as a staging center. Under the Davis model, which borrows if not
steals from the federal Patriot Act signed by President Bush (news - web
sites) after Sept. 11, Cucamonga cops would theoretically bust up that
cell before you could say, "Praise be to Allah."
(...)

<<A Wiretap In Every Home
By Richard Cohen
Thursday, January 10, 2002; Page A19
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22888-2002Jan9.html>
If it is true that all trends start in California, then the rest of the
country had better pay attention. Gray Davis has proposed that his state's
police agencies be given the same authority to fight terrorism that
Congress recently gave the feds. If this keeps up, there won't be an
untapped phone in the nation.
It's not that what Davis proposes is so awful. What he has in mind is a
state version of the insultingly named USA Patriot Act, which among other
things expanded wiretap authority at the federal level. It also permits
the government to monitor e-mail and Internet sites. Uncle Sam is going to
know if you've been bad or good -- so be good for goodness' sake.
But you better watch out. Because already other states are asking for the
same authority. All this is being done in the name of anti-terrorism, but
the expanded powers could be used for any purpose approved by a court -- a
state court at that. You need only peer back in history to wonder if we
are going to be any safer or, maybe, much worse off.
Here I must state a prejudice. Having once been a statehouse correspondent
(Maryland), I am underwhelmed by the competence and professionalism of
state government. Most legislators are part-time, but the lobbyists are
not. Often, they lead the representatives around by the nose -- offering
expertise, advice and, in a pinch, a free vacation to somewhere very nice.
Similarly, state judges do not match the caliber of their federal
counterparts.
[...]
---