virus: viru: MASS BELIEF CONTAGION VECTOR WARNING

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 13:01:18 MST

Blunderov wrote:
"(BTW even a suicide could be said to be acting in in own perceived self
interest. Sort of)"

Kirkasawrus Wreks wrote:
Anyone ELSE wanna take this one?
Two cardinal sins here, one Virian and one ethological
Apathy and Self destruction.
Seek corrective debriefing, immediately.

Whoa!

I am not claiming that suicide is "a good thing".

I AM claiming that even a suicide is acting on the basis of what HE
considers to be his self interest, I am NOT claiming that suicide is a
worthy or good thing.

Some food for thought:

If a soldier were to lay down his life in a suicide mission because he
believed that it would benefit a cause that he espoused, he could not, in
all fairness, be found guilty of the (viriian)sin of Apathy.

Would such a soldier be guilty of the (ethelogical) sin of self destruction?

I think not. Intention is the crucial element in most criminal cases. Mens
rea, that "guilty state of mind" is crucial, at least in Roman Dutch law, to
determining whether a crime has taken place at all.I put it to you that
because it is not the soldier's direct intention to kill himself but to
achieve some other purpose, he cannot be found guilty of the sin of self
destruction. And yet he is dead by his own hand.

All dogma is bad!

(As L'Ermit might say: <Grin>)

Slip slidin' away.