Re: A waste of time? was RE: virus: Yash - a brief history eloquent redolence, but n

From: Mermaid . (britannica@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 15:36:55 MST

[Hermit] I have also seen this ascribed to Aryabhatt by people with a
mission too. I have seen no <em>proof</em> for either assertion. So, knowing
that an assertion can be challenged, and that you have to have proof of
such, I would appreciate your providing it. Thank-you.

[Mermaid]Anyone who wishes to do research on *any* subject can do it if they
have the time and inclination. The book is available at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0766107124/qid=1010960745/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1_1/103-1729755-8343845

Surya-Siddhanta : A Text Book of Hindu Astronomy, 1858 by Ebenezer Burgess

Brahmagupta<as did Aryabhatta, Varahamihira and Bhaskaracharya..btw..this is
Bhaskara, the second..the author of Lilavati> mentions gravity years before
it was 'discovered' by Newton although they didnt necessarily agree with
each other. Personally, I doubt if Indian astronomers-mathematicians
'discovered' gravity, but they were aware of the concept. Who knows who
figured that one out first...

"At the end of the day, those listening to this non-discussion will decide
on the truth of the proposition. As most of them will not perform the
research, they will probably decide based on whether my opinion or yours is
better justified and thus carries more weight. - Hermit, CoV"