RE: virus: Rehoe the Yashamite call anybody who can read and understand French.

From: Mermaid . (britannica@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 12:43:23 MST

[Note from me [Hermit: me = Yash]: if this is the same Ebeneezer Burgess as
the book cited by Mermaid, then to Ifrah it doesn't matter if Kessinger
Publishing decides to re-publish the work, it's proper enough for his
scholarly research - another kind of fallacious thinking -> dismissing
source only because some other party decides to publish same information.
Ifrah states the reference: Burgess et Whitney <<Translation of the
Sûrya-Siddhânta, a text-book of Hindu Astronomy >>, in JAOS, vol. 6/1860, p.
141-498].

[Hermit notes that this may well be true, but when a work is published by
OUP, Cambridge UP, Kluwer, Prentiss-Hall, Addison Wesley, or other reputable
publishers, we are assured that scholars have examined the translation and
source works, proofed, corrected, commented and provided their assurance
that the publication is a "fair representation" of the originals. Where
scientific publication is involved, we can be sure that a peer panel has
performed a review. All of these prerequisites are absent from the
"esoteric" publishers - and when they have an axe to grind, as so many do,
academic rigor demands that one question the source material. As I did and
do.]

[Mermaid]Sigh..

[Mermaid]Kessinger house reprints old, rare and out-of-print books and
Kessinger-publishing caters to a niche market. This sounds like catch-22 to
me.

>From Kessinger-Publishing.com

<snip>

We reincarnate Ancient Wisdom by publishing Thousands of previously
out-of-print philosophical books.

Many of our illuminating books have been out-of-print for over 100 years.
These books are hard-to-find classics and represent many of the finest
philosophical authors and metaphysical works of the last several centuries.

We fervently search worldwide for these treasures and make affordable soft
cover (paper back) facsimile reproductions.

Our exclusive reprints (unavailable elsewhere) reveal the way to health,
happiness, spirituality and success. They are invaluable guides to the
mastery of life and personal fulfillment.

<snip>

[Mermaid further notes]The book was published in The Journal Of American
Oriental Studies<JOAS> in 1858. The book was written precisely because of a
lack of sufficient research in the area by previous Europeon scholars. And I
quote Burgess

<quote>
In short, there was nothing in existence that showed the world how much or
how little the Hindus know of astronomy, as also the mode of their mode of
presenting the subject in its totality, the intermixture in their science of
old ideas with new, of astronomy with astrology, of observation with
mathematical deduction with arbitary theory, mythology, cosmogony and pure
imagination. It seemed to me that nothing would so well supply the
deficiency as the translation and detailed explication of a complete
treatise of Hindu astronomy: and this work I accordingly undertook to
execute.[Page 142]

My first rough draft of the translation and notes was made while I was still
in India, with the aid of Brahmans who were familiar with Sanskrit and well
versed in Hindu astronomical sciences. In a few points also, I received help
from the native Professor of Mathematics in the Sanskrit College at Puna.
But not withstanding this, there remained not a few obscure and difficult
points, connected with the demonstration and application of the processes
taught in the test. In the solution of these, I have received very important
assistance from the Committee of Publication of the Society. They have also
- the main share of work falling to Prof.Whitney - enriched the notes with
much additional matter of value. My whole collected material was, in fact ,
placed in their hands for revision, expansion and reduction to the form best
answering to the requirements of modern scholars, my own engrossing
occupations, and distance from the place of publication, as well as my
confidence in their ability and judgement, leading me to prefer to intrust
this work to them rather than to undertake its execution myself.

We have also to express our acknowledgements to Mr.Hubert.A.Newton,
Professor of Mathematics in Yale college, for valuable aid rendered us in
the most difficult demonstrations, and in the comparison of Hindu and Greek
astronomies, as well as his constant advice and suggestions, which add not a
little to the value of the work.[Pages 142-143]

<end quote>

etc etc..

Website of American Oriental Society : http://www.umich.edu/~aos/

<snip>
The American Oriental Society is the oldest learned society in the United
States devoted to a particular field of scholarship. The Society was founded
in 1842, preceded only by such distinguished organizations of general scope
as the American Philosophical Society (1743), the American Academy of Arts
and Sciences (1780), and the American Antiquarian Society (1812). From the
beginning its aims have been humanistic. The encouragement of basic research
in the languages and literatures of Asia has always been central in its
tradition. This tradition has come to include such subjects as philology,
literary criticism, textual criticism, paleography, epigraphy, linguistics,
biography, archaeology, and the history of the intellectual and imaginative
aspects of Oriental civilizations, especially of philosophy, religion,
folklore and art. The scope of the Society's purpose is not limited by
temporal boundaries: All sincere students of man and his works in Asia, at
whatever period of history are welcomed to membership.
<snip>