RE: virus: Like mental J-ELLO wrestling--quite messy, but without the fun, entertainment value, or nudity...

From: Richard Ridge (richard_ridge@tao-group.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 09:49:17 MST

> MERMAID:
>
> Personally, I happen to LIKE her. I wonder how it is that she
> has verbally
> sparred and spatted with nearly every person on the list I consider a
> friend. With some it has been resolved in the past (like Sebby for
> instance, someone I also had a flamefest with of gargantuan proportions in
> the past, as old-timers here can attest), but still there are those I
> respect that hold her in such low esteem. What is it about her that seems
> to pique everyone?

As one of the individuals who has crossed swords with the old trout in the
past (said description seeming to be an accurate depiction of her gurglings,
though for amusement I must hand the award to Joe Dees for 'MerdeMade'),
might I hazard a reply? Though I often find myself disagreeing with the
trout and ended up flaming with her on pretty much an equally bellicose
level I don't think those were the things that irritated me (I may flatter
myself, but I tend to think I give as good as I get). What did irritate me
was what I called her Protean debating style - which seemed to me to be
founded on assertion of mutually exclusive ideas in a wholly illogical
manner and then defending them through some of the most impressively
contorted arguments imaginable. While entertaining when viewed from a
distance it doesn't make for rational discourse up close.

Unlike Hermit though (If I read his posts correctly - you can imagine that
with all of these posts finding the time - or the will - to read them has
not been easy) I don't see this as pointing to a lack of integrity. My
impression was that it was more a matter of lacking a common frame of
reference - when in conversation with her you always had the feeling that
two entirely separate conversations were going on. The trout, for her part,
was entirely impervious to any of this, and will doubtless post one of her
typically colourful replies to this post. Doubtless said reply will be quite
entertaining when viewed from afar but I don't think you'd actually want to
reply to it.