virus: NDE info - Thank you Joe!

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 22:05:00 MST

Joe Dees pointed us to:
[url=http://www.imagination-engines.com/nde.htm][/url]

I backtracked and surfed a bit and ended up here:

[url=http://www.imagination-engines.com/gunn.htm]"Gunn Control: The Emerging
Intelligence and Its Critical Look at Us", Stephen Thaler, Imagination
Engines, Inc.[/url] accessed 2002-01-25

Fall, 1998, Artificial Intelligence: A Critical look at the Ultimate Text

This is the shortest and far and away the best single article introductory
article I have [b]ever[/b] read about brain mechanics, including vast
quantities of necessary background information. I cannot recommend strongly
enough that Virians should read this article to meet our evolutionary
successors as they clamber from the trees. A caveat, the author tolerates
fools almost as well as I do.

I do think that the article may be a little pessimistic about humans, but
then he was responding to an article by a cognitively impaired fluff-bunny.
For a little longer we will be need to act as wetnurses, and I think for a
little beyond that, we will probably co-exist in a bio-mechanistic
symbiosis. But then our children will find their own paths. Perhaps they
will maintain us as an act of kindness. Perhaps they may eliminate us for
the same reason (or because kindness is more spoken than acted upon).

The question is, as they seek their future, what of their mental ancestors
legacy will they choose to carry with them? Is there some aspect of
ourselves that they will perceive as valuable - bearing in mind that they
will have learnt their initial tastes from us? The answer, I think, is in
the writings and collections we make that will feed these thinking machines.
The challenge is what exactly of ourselves we would like to see there.

The page at [url=http://www.imagination-engines.com/world.htm][/url]
accessed 2002-01-25 offers some further thoughts on the topic.

Regards

Hermit