virus: Re: Telepathic Soul Transfer Protocol (kill -HUP tstpd)

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:55:38 MST

<various snippage throughout>

[Hermit 2] So our brain does not [i]normally[/i] transmit anything.

[ben 3] Agreed, and hence the "under certain circumstances" portion of the
original paragraph.

[Hermit 2] More to the point, we do not have a mechanism to receive such
transmissions. The
appended article may be helpful. You might also refer to the "god module"
[url=http://forum.javien.com/XMLmessage.php?id=id::bEtbR1zu-EVrb-a3cZ-WTkT-w
yU0OXfZXzaZ]God
Module repost[/url].

[ben 3] My model of heaven didn't specify human recipients, only human
sources. If both host bodies were human, or even "biological", it would
merely be a model of re-incarnation. Your appended post brought up some
excellent points, and helped clarify some of the borders of the range of
possibility of one of my pet SF theories. It did have one point with which I
must differ, and it is one that I see over and over:

[Hermit 0] A reasonable assumption is that if we cannot detect them, they do
not exist.

[ben 3] Would the same have been true 100 years ago? Of course not. And the
assumption that it is true today is giving too much credence to our current
state of technological development, and too much discredit to the
generations of scientists which are to follow. Over human history, people
have almost always been at the height of their civilization's advancement.
Any of those people could have felt that what they were perceiving was the
closest that the species had come to "truth" - and they very well may have
been right. However, to think that they were seeing as much as would ever be
seen would have obviously, in hindsight, been arrogant and incorrect. So why
should it be true now?

[ben 3] No theory should be predicated on the existence of that which cannot
be proven - we all agree on that, I think. However the flipside of this is
that we also should not completely dismiss that which cannot be proven
false.

-ben