RE: virus: Nietzsche too

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 06:58:19 MST

[Hermit 1*] Although millions of others, such as Romani, Sinti (sic),
homosexuals, the disabled and political opponents of the Nazi regime were
also victims of persecution and murder, only the Jews were singled out for
total extermination"

[Richard Ridge 1] How exactly do they imagine it would be possible to single
out homosexuals for total extermination? It's not exactly the most feasible
of prospects, is it? Not to mention the fact that attempts to construct a
hierarchy of suffering (with all of the accompanying sanctification that
suffering purportedly dispenses - in reality no-one has ever been ennobled
by suffering).

[Hermit 2] Richard, you are a tonic. But do you really expect reason from
believers (or to use a synonym, fruitcakes)?

<snip>

[Hermit 2] Carlyle forsoothe! Tell me, do you/have you read any Tom Sharpe?
If not try
[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/033026012X/thehermit0d]"The
Throwback", Tom Sharpe[/url] If you have, you'll know what I am referring
to, why I thought of him when you mentioned Carlyle, and understand why I
nearly did myself a damage reading it (the Bulldog on LSD and the Colonel
and the Cheese Grater scenes). If you haven't, I rather suspect you will wet
yourself while reading it.

<snip>

[Hermit 1] As to the charge that he [Nietzsche] was a "racist," the last few
minutes of his life affirm his detestation of anti-semitism

[Richard Ridge 1] The problem with this is that there tends to be a
confusion between ethnicity and religion; given his views on christianity,
one can hardly expect Nietzche to have been wildly enamoured of judaism (or
any other Abrahamic religion). That said, he does occasionally pay judaism
some compliments that he would certainly never have lavished on
christianity.

[Hermit 2] He well understood the difference between people and ideas
(including the religious idea), but also didn't mind (understatement, say
rather reveled in) standing against the tide. It is, I suspect, a part of
his charm. He understood that one can loathe all Abrahamic religions yet
reject partiality to or against one of its branches and also still tolerate
some of its followers. I sometimes have the same urges myself. Especially
when she is pretty<grin>.

Kind Regards

Hermit