RE: virus: Cannabinoid receptors and munchies : reprise

From: Dylan Sunter (dylan.sunter@fisystem.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 06:57:37 MST

its not necessarily the corporation itself, or indeed its desire to sell
"food" which is the problem. The problem with food in general is the
intensive farming methods used by farmers throughout the western world.

Meat and dairy production methods are appauling [1], and the (UK) government
guidelines laid out by DeFRA do not go far enough to stop the poor practices
which keep a lot of livestock in poor health and disease ridden
environments. Even growing practices need to be rethought, as planting in
Autumn as many farmers do leads to increased yield, but also tends to
increase pollution and even be detrimental to flood defences (and in the UK
where its very wet, this is a major issue) [1]

Macdonalds buy meat which for the most part is intensively farmed. Due to
the vast amount of meat which they (and other fast food chains) buy, it is
clear to see why it is not cost effective for farmers to not cut the corners
and to continue with practices which should have no place in the 21st
century. Not only that, but due to the deliberate low-wage practice, it has
led to them being virtually unchallenged by any unions, and certainly a
couple of years ago (although I cant comment about now) McDonalds would not
allow any employee to be a member of a trade union...this means it is
unlikely ever to stop exploiting its own staff who are harrased and
hard-working for the most part. Basically, in my opinion, McDonalds are not
the only, but definately one of the companies with the worst business and
ethical practices in the western world, and it is only right that direct
action is taken against them.

[1] http://www.viva.org.uk/frame.htm ;
http://www.animalfreedom.org/english/opinion/opinions.html

[2] http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/Story/0,2763,394794,00.html ;