virus: intensity of pain & animals...

From: Dr Sebby (drsebby@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 03:06:31 MST

....dammit jake, im still looking. i used to hold this idea as just an
obvious and logical truth after witnessing dozens or hundreds of occasions
where various species of animals just seemed to shrug off or barely even
feel various injuries(eg. cows curiously and comfortably trying to walk on
and/or support themselves using a broken leg whose compound fracture was
sticking out a good 8inches..and this being 5 or more hours after the actual
injury....combined with the realization that if their central nervous system
were relatively simplistic, so must to their nervous system as a whole be on
par. but i could never really argue the point with any scientific
evidence...nor could i imagine how the requisite objective viewpoint be
managed since we can never truly be in another creatures(or man's) skin.
and then one day in a very simple psychology class, the textbook explained
matter-of-factly how this IS true and the simple experiment which proved it
beyond a doubt. i've hunted for this lost morsel several times and cant
seem to find it again....all i remember unfortunately is how immensely
clever and simple the experiment was...and how ABSOLUTE it's conclusions
were...so simple and perfect was the approach that i truly marvelled at the
fact that even the most staunch opponent of such ideas would absolutely
NEVER be able to argue against it...it was that clever! and yet for the
life of me i cant seem to pull it up!!....even searching the internet, i can
find such a simple and completely obvious and undeniable demostration. i
only have the memory of how amazing and simple the method was...at the time
i felt like a fool for not having thought of it before. and only now do i
feel more foolish for not being able to find it again....thinking at the
time "oh, i know it's in this book...i merely have to reference it in the
future" and now i cant seem to locate it. im either using a different
textbook or it's out of the index order. it frustrates me to no small
degree!...and not just with THIS discussion...i've looked for it before.
not seriously enough apparently....i suppose i will now have to go through
page by page the whole fuckiing textbook. all i can be sure of is that i
DID read it...and it resolved the issue SOOOOOo completely and undeniably,
that no one could honestly refute the conclusions. i'll keep looking very
soon again. sorry.

drsebby.