Re: virus: Barcodes On People

From: Zphobic (zphobic@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 04:46:48 MST

[Vamp] The code they put on them was the social security number (just as bar
code, without the number, and with a simple encoding mechanism).
 One of the students cracked the code (and taught others) and threatened
 to put up a webpage with all of the school administrators social
 security numbers on it (which other people could use for something like
 applying for a fake credit card).

[Vamp] There was a thread about it on slashdot about it here:
 http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/09/24/1536200&mode=thread

[Z] The amusing thing about this is that my old high school required ID
codes, and for the first YEAR the IDs had the FULL, UNENCODED SOCIAL
SECURITY NUMBER on them. Just printed out.

[Z] Quite a few people complained (including me), and the next year they
were gone. I didn't know it was slashdot material.

[Z] The fun thing that came out of this is that one of my geek aquaintances,
who has access to a (paid) information site, learned about a
vice-principal's cocaine possession charge through his ID number (staff had
them too).

   - Zphobic