virus: Coping and self-reliance (was RE: faith not moribund)

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 15:05:16 MST

I think that a good answer to your question can be found on these two sites:
http://virus.lucifer.com/sins.html
http://virus.lucifer.com/virtues.html

imho, the most valuable self-reliance skills are "reason", one of the virian
virtues, and "action", the not-quite converse of apathy, which is one of the
virian sins.

Acquisition of these two skills with constant vigilance and practice, as
well as an avoidance of hypocracy whenever possible, will train you to
realize that YOU are responsible for: the consequences of your actions.
Period. End of List. To extend this concept, "no one else is responsible for
your actions and their consequences" and "you are not responsible for the
actions and consequences of another."

If that's not self reliance, then what is?

As far as coping goes, I prefer to use good old pragmatism and humor. Humor
to soften the blow of whatever needs to be coped with, and pragmatism to
realize that 1)The past cannot be changed, and 2)Doing only things that
benefit me, immediately and in the long term, is the surest way to cope with
having done badly or been done wrong.

Every human dies. Some die peacefully in their sleep, some die screaming
like their passengers, and some die excruciatingly and horribly in pools of
their own excrement. IMHO, if you stop right now and think to yourself,
"what if I died 5min from now?", and the answer is "I would have regrets,"
then you need to stop looking so far ahead ;-}

Kalkor