RE: virus: Kalkor - Germanic for 'Chalkman'?

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 18:07:10 MST

I hope you're talking about me ;-}
Notice how I reply to a post that clearly states the poster will no longer
be with us, thus negating any effect on said poster my response may have
had.

As far as the origins of my nickname... actually, you're the first person
who's ever proposed an actual word-origin. I got the name from a series of
fantasy novels by one of my favorite genre authors, Dave Duncan (the series
is called "A Man of His Word"). The character Kalkor is a nordland raider
chieftain who has come across through his rapine and pillage, enough "words
of power" to make him a "sorceror". Out of context this probably tells you
nothing, but one reason I like Mr Duncan's writing so much is that with each
novel/series he creates an entirely new and different "fantasy world".
Suffice to say that being a sorceror in the society Kalkor is a member of
and in fact a leader of drives him quite mad. You'd have to read the series
to understand why, as it lies in the contexts of 1) What the words ARE, 2)
How they affect the holders, and 3) The nature of his society.

You don't strike me as a reader of escapist fantasy novels, however.
(Blatant assumption on my part, I know) But if you ever decide to check any
of this guy's stuff out, here's the first book (which only contains brief
references to my namesake):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/034536628X/qid=1015116853/sr=1-15/ref
=sr_1_15/104-9703410-3595907

So how far off topic can I get here?

I actually adopted the name as I found my previous names too long to use
when the internet finally came to my town. I used it for the character
created while I was teaching my terminal program how to play an online
(local multi-line dialup BBS) game called Tele-Arena. I just used the
builtin script language to have it play for me while I was at school and
work, because I wanted to have the most powerful character in the game ;-}

I currently use it for several reasons: I own the domain kalkor.com, it's
easy to remember, spell, and pronounce, and it has the curious quality
posessed by words like "boom" and "snap" to give an impression of not
necessarily its origin, but it's meaning. Doesn't it sound like the name of
a nordland raider? ;-} Not to mention it also seems absolutely unambiguous
gender-wise. I know there are terms for these properties, but I can't for
the life of me remember them right now.

Kalkor