virus: Calling Gragg Vail and other IRCers

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 17:33:07 MST

Walter Watts asked:

Well, to be honest Hermit, I've never been in a chat room, so I've never
bothered to download a chat client.

Am I missing something profoundly paradigm fluxing?

Walter
PS--If I am, then could someone kindly flux me a fully-qualified ftp
pathname
to the free-est, fullest and finest of the aforementioned IRC daemons.

Hermit Responds:

The following reply has been posted to
http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=31&action=display&threadid=11574&start=0Oΰ

As a FAQ, "FAQ: The Joy of IRC"

Why IRC

IRC is much harder to describe than to try - and many people, having tried
it like it. We are trying to make the experience as painless as possible. If
you think of it as IM on steroids, you will not be far off the mark. Unlike
IM, IRC is primarily oriented at connecting groups of people to communicate
(but being able to have private discussions if you like).

IRC allows people to "meet and greet" with far less formality and a lot more
responsiveness than by eMail. It reduces the "performance pressure" of the
main CoV list, and is intended to allow Virians to get to know one another.
In some ways IRC is even better than voice conversations, as being less
personal it allows one to disclose more information about oneself than one
would do in person, without risk of serious embarrassment, yet is still
allows time to consider what one is saying.

The Easy Way To Get Onto IRC

Via the BBS (No Software Needed)
If you haven't already, simply register on the BBS and you will then see a
chat icon on the main menu at the top of the screen, which will take you to
the CoV Java Chat Interface.

Enter the nickname you would like to use on-line, and click "Join Chat." You
will be connected directly to the IRC channel and can start talking to other
Virians.

If you need an IRC Client

Download one of the following suggested programs [See Client Suggestions]
into a temporary directory, making a note of the directory and file name
where you are saving it. If you don't know what you are doing, we suggest
that you connect to the #virus channel using the CoV chat service [see The
Easy Way To Get Onto IRC above] and ask for help to install it.

If you already use an IRC Client

Connect to irc.lucifer.com:6667 and join #virus. If you need help
configuring your client, we suggest that you connect to the #virus channel
using the CoV chat service [see The Easy Way To Get Onto IRC above] and ask
for help to install it.

Why The Church Of Virus Has Its Own IRC Servers

There are hundreds of IRC networks with millions of clients, even though,
despite frequent rumors to the contrary, Cybersex only forms a small part of
the activity which happens on IRC... So why create our own servers? There
are two primary reasons.

Unfortunately, while only are small number of users on the IRC networks are
"script-kiddies" and "wannabe 1337 H4X0r5", there are enough of them to make
the experience trying - particularly for the novice IRCer. On our own
servers, we should be able to control this kind of activity.

We hope to closely integrate our BBS and other services with the IRC to
create a multi-access system suited to the needs of the Church of Virus.
This would not be possible on other servers.

Client suggestions

Windows

vIRC (32-bit) – Popular and highly configurable IRC client. Windows
95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP - Hermit's recommended choice due in no small part to
its whiteboard and script capabilities. Windows.
http://www.hansprestige.com/virc/beta.php

mIRC (32-bit) – Most popular configurable IRC client. Windows
95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10060-100-8875289.html

Trillian – Skinnable chat client with support for IRC, AIM, ICQ, MSN, and
Yahoo Messenger. Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10060-100-8642766.html

Direct Connect – Give other users access to shared directories without the
need for passwords. Windows 95/98/NT
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-3291790-100-5773515.html

PIRCH98 IRC client with multimedia capabilities. Windows 95/98/NT
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10060-100-910011.html

mIRC (16-bit) IRC client for Windows 3.x. Windows 3.x
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10060-100-6312583.html

For more Clients: CNet IRC Clients for Windows

Macintosh

Ircle Good Scripting. System 7
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10203-100-914029.html

Snak – Attractive. IRC client that now works on Mac OS X. Mac OS 9[/url]
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10203-100-8598128.html

ShadowIRC – Fast IRC client. System 7
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10203-100-2578451.html

Fire (OS X) Similar to Trillian. Can connect to AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, and
IRC instant messengers simultaneously. Mac OS X
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10203-100-9033918.html

smIRCle (PowerPC) Full-featured freeware IRC client. System 7.1
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10203-100-907883.html

For more Clients: CNet IRC Clients for Macintosh

*nix

X-Chat – graphical IRC client. Scriptable in Python/PERL. Excellent.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10145-100-4641910.html

IRCIT for Linux text-mode, macro-extensible, C like scripting language
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10145-100-902776.html

cIRCus – Basic Graphic IRC client for X Windows.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10145-100-910522.html

Gabber – GNOME client with instant-messaging interfaces and Jabber support.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10145-100-5133814.html

KVIrc – Visual Internet Relay Chat client. It has a MDI GUI interface , DCC
Support and high scripting capabilities."
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10145-100-3918532.html

For more Clients: CNet IRC Clients for *nix