virus: Faith Schools Latest

From: Richard Ridge (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 03:19:50 MST

I see that at long last my religious revivalist excuse for a Prime Minister has been caught out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,666969,00.html

\"Ms Tonge was not finished. \"Is he happy to allow creationism to be taught alongside Darwin\'s theory of evolution in a school?\" she added. She was referring to Emmanuel College, a city tech in Gateshead.

It seems to me that there\'s only one reply when an MP raises a fruitcake school like that, and it\'s the same reply you\'d give if the college taught psychokinetic spoon-bending in physics, the use of ouija boards in media studies, and told biology students that crop circles were made by aliens who fly across the galaxy in flying saucers, trample a bit of corn, and then go home again.

The prime minister did not give it. Instead he said that reports had been \"somewhat exaggerated\". What\'s more, he added, it would be very unfortunate if concerns over this issue were to remove the \"very, very strong incentive to get as diverse a school system as we possibly can ...

\"If you look at the actual results of the school, you will find they are very good.\"

So that\'s all right then. No doubt these splendid results are in special loony GCSEs based on that system of maths which starts from the idea that 2 plus 2 equals 5, or astronomy A-levels: \"Leo or Taurus - which sign for the most romantic partners?\" or literature: \"Moby Dick - was he another victim of the Bermuda Triangle?\" They\'d get incredible results.\"

More at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1871000/1871184.stm

Dreadful. Will no-one rid me of this troublesome vicar?

----
This message was posted by Richard Ridge to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=>