virus: war against terror

From: Casey M (cmanisca@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 06:23:34 MST

I was reading an op-ed piece recently...can't remember if it was in the NY
Times or the Washington Post...anyways, it mentioned a website organized by
former members of the Reagan and Bush the 1st administrations.

The URL is: http://www.avot.org

Give it a read, then read this:

http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/temp/0312-105.html

This is from the press release:

"AVOT's objective is to sustain and strengthen American public
opinion as the war on terrorism moves forward. AVOT will promote
the democratic ideals of freedom, liberty, equality and human
rights -- the very virtues terrorist groups and terrorist states
wish to eradicate -- and answer those who seek to erode our
nation's resolve and commitment to fight and defeat the
evil of terrorism."

While in principle this sounds like a valid organization wishing to express
the need for a war on terrorism, it also seems as if it has been established
to root out those who may be in favor of less-violent methods of persuasion,
ie. diplomatic and economic sanctions.

It almost reminds me of Ms. Cheney's organization ACTA, the American Council
of Trustees and Alumni. Both organizations seemingly wish to stifle any
attempts to voice opposition to the current administration's war on terror.

I know the URL has been posted before, but it warrants a return visit to
compare and contrast it with AVOT.

The URL is: http://www.goacta.org/

Regards,
Casey