RE: virus: Re:Faith Schools Latest

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 10:58:54 MST

Re:Faith Schools Latest, Richard Ridge [hidden@lucifer.com] Mon 2002/03/18
14:21
Quoted

<snip>
\"To teach children that they are nothing more than developed mutations who
evolved from something akin to a monkey, and that death is the end of
everything is hardly going to engender within them a sense of purpose,
self-worth and self-respect."\
<snap>

[Blunderov]
By their fruits ye shall know them: three non-sequiturs for the price of
one. Apparently it is not important to Christians whether what is taught to
their children is in fact true or not, as long as it has the desired effect.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to witness Sir Cliff Richard talking to a
group of young people about his faith. He said that he definitely believed
in the devil just as much as he believed in god.

I have often found it convenient to stop Christians in their theological
tracks with the following sequence of questions:

Do you believe in an omnipotent, omniscient, all good god? Y/N
Do you believe in the devil, ie evil incarnate? Y/N
then
If god is omnipotent, and all good, why does he permit the devil to exist?
or
If he is not omnipotent, can he still be considered \god\?

Normally one is given some guff about how god could, if he chose, enforce
belief in him, but capriciously prefers to have that belief come from the
free choice of his subjects. This line, however, does not get around the
implication that god is directly responsible for all evil and is probably
not to be trusted. I always enjoy watching their eyes glaze over at this
one.

Death to the barbarians.

Blunderov