Re:virus: noise, superposition, linearity vs. \"Butterfly Effect\" of a virus

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 15:25:13 MST

[dp-wilson@shaw.ca] (A reply to earlier messages on memetic noise and silence machines ...
<snip>

[rhinoceros] A lot of work you have done at your site! I hope I will find some time to read everything.

Just one point. I think we cannot just say that *social animals are* (almost) linear because their social behavior is not chaotic and *biological viruses are* (extremely) nonlinear because their reproduction and spread are chaotic, because in this way we are classifying things using a different attribute or level for each one. We may have to use a different mathematical model for each aspect. Even if we are talking about a specific attribute, such as reproduction or spread, we may have to use one mathematical model for the sociological level and another one for the personal-physical level. Something can be nonlinear (chaotic) at one level and linear at a higher level.

About the term \"superposition\": I did borrow it from physics, however I did not mean anything like canceling out of waves or quantum functions, but something much more naive. I just visualized the memeplexes in the human brain as raster images of patterns formed by synaptic paths, and I speculated that overexposure to many unimportant memes would floodfill areas of the image and would make it harder to recognize the patterns.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=20258>