Re:virus: howdy

From: kharin (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 08:40:01 MDT

[quote author=rhinoceros link=board=51;threadid=24851;start=15#108814 date=1018963777]
I took the 2-dimensional test and found out that I am halfway to the left and halfway liberal. The strange thing is that I am very close to Ghandi, while I feel that I must always watch myself not to break anything (hence rhinoceros). Maybe a third dimension is needed.
[/quote]

The faq section may be of interest in that case (http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/faq.html). I think that one possible axis could be between \'conservative\' and \'progressive/radical.\' The phrasing is somewhat difficult here, but would essentially refer to the extent to which one is identified with a social or political status quo, since it does not automatically follow that anyone with a right-wing complexion to their views is likely to be a traditionalist (though the reason for the correlation is obvious and not unreasonable). To elaborate, the rise of monetarism in the eighties was certainly anti-conservative, even if it was espoused by parties who described themselves in those terms.

On the other hand, the two-axis model does have a certain elegant simplicity to it, and such an additional axis would be fiendishly difficult to quanitfy.

There\'s also an interesting comment in that section with particular regard to the \'libertarian left\' category, though it dwells rather more heavily on whether people do profess such views (which is self evident) than the extent to which they can be deemed internally consistent.

----
This message was posted by kharin to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=24851>