RE: virus: politics test/mix

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 10:05:22 MDT

[Arcadia]
So next time you criticize the man who keeps
a fighting dog on a three foot chain and pokes him with a stick, understand
that guy is less deluded and does less overall damage than every cop, every
judge, every DA, every prison guard, and every citizen who believes in 'law
and order.'

[ben]
OK I'll bite :) Does that view take into account the possiblity that one
might 'believe in' law and order but not agree with the way it is
implemented currently? There are other judiciary systems in the world than
the 'catch and release' methodology in vogue in western societies...

[Arcadia]
The whole business of tweeking the law or the election system, or even the
eduaction system this way or that to obtain a better human is just stupid.
No system is better than the people in it.

[ben]
Isn't the point supposed to be however that the system is meant to be
administered by people who are better than average? Tweaking the education
system to obtain better humans sound perfectly legitimate and desirable to
me, but my tweaking would certainly not include sending my kid off to be
educated by any random Joe off the street.

[Arcadia]
But I think people have to -decide- to be good, and that if they do that
then 'the system' works,

[ben]
Truly given the choice, I don't believe that most people would opt to be
'good', and the few that did may well have very diferent interpretations of
'good' than I hold.

[Arcadia]
sold out to the corporate boss,

[ben]
What exactly does that mean, to you? I hear that phrase a lot, but nobody
ever seems inclined to explain it.

-ben