virus: Bush, Blair nominated for Nobel peace prize

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 16:38:31 MDT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,645075,00.html

Shoulder to shoulder, Blair and Bush nominated for peace prize

Stuart Millar
Tuesday February 5, 2002
The Guardian

One has ordered his forces into battle more times than any other postwar
British leader. The other threatens military action against "evil" nations
and keeps a scorecard of dead al-Qaida leaders, marking each fatality with
an X.
Now, Tony Blair and George Bush have received international recognition for
their unswerving willingness to use force: a nomination for the 2002 Nobel
peace prize.

The prime minister and US president have been jointly nominated for the
accolade by a rightwing Norwegian politician who believes their military
campaign against terrorism meets Alfred Nobel's criteria that the winner
"shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations,
for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and
promotion of peace congresses".

Harald Tom Nesvik, who represents the Party of Progress in the Norwegian
parliament, said yesterday: "The background for my nomination is their
decisive action against terrorism, something I believe in the future will be
the greatest threat to peace. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to use force
to secure peace."

Mr Nesvik has nomination rights as a member of a national legislature.

The committee keeps the names of nominees secret for 50 years, but those
making nominations often make their choice public. The full list of nominees
will not be completed until later this month.

There are signs that Mr Blair and Mr Bush are up against tough competition
to secure the $940,000 (£670,000) prize money and see their names added to
an elite list which includes Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa and Nelson
Mandela.

Other unconfirmed September 11-related nominations are believed to include
Rudolph Giuliani, the former mayor of New York, and Guy Tozzoli, an engineer
who helped design the World Trade Centre.

The winner will be announced in October.

Mr Blair's nomination appears to have brought little cheer to Downing
Street. Last night a No 10 spokeswoman said: "I think it would be a matter
for the committee to consider any nomination. I don't think it would be a
matter we would comment on."

[/quote]

There's a link to where you can submit disapproval, ostensibly to the Nobel
committee, in this article:
http://www.eskimo.com/~cwj2/geekery/archive/000222.html

-ben