Re:virus: Re: [Upstream] Help with a memetic fragment

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 17:51:32 MDT

Although I am not a fan of Toynbee's theory, I'll have to give it a try.

It is natural that Toynbees theory can explain the fall of the Roman Empire, because the theory itself was built on the history of the Roman Empire.

Regarding the fall of the Soviet Union, things get more complicated. When a theory has to encompass something new, it may have to be adapted, and its focus shifted. In Toynbee's scheme, we could simply replace the "elite" of the Romans with the communist party of Lenin, and the "barbarians" of the Romans with the party bureaucracy, which was eventually alienated to the people. Then, a new "elite" emerged, mainly from the "smartest" people, which were mainly the black marketers and some of the party bureaucrats in a new role.

Of course, I realize that I am trying to fit some of my personal perceptions into Toynbee's theory, but I think that is what everyone is doing.

Abundance of resourses could be a final solution to all our "big" problems, but I would not bet on it. It is possible that it would lead to new problems of distribution and authority. Maybe we'll just have to wait and see, because it has never happened before. Are there any historical examples of societies of abundance?

Now, about the higher classes imitating the lower classes during a period of social decline... while I would not adopt this idea, it seems to have some potential for serious jokes. Except jeans, beards, and slang language, there is also theft and murder, although at a higher level.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=25450>