Re: Re:virus: Egyptian history contradicts the Bible

From: Hermit (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 12:05:44 MDT

[Fabes 1]
[Hermit 2]
[Matt 3]
[Kharin 4]
[Hermit 5]
[Adam 6]
[Hermit 7]
[hr]
[quote from: adamg@bu.edu on 2002-05-08 at 11:27:08]

<snip>

[Adam 6] If I may interject, I'm not aware of the evidence that school children were taught the Aeneid as literal history. In fact there are reasons I strenuously doubt this is the case. The grammarians possessed a well-reticulated system of literary criticism (as Hermit pointed out), based on reading poetry as fictive, that preserved Roman knowledge into the Dark Ages.

<snip>

[Adam 6] In other words serious Romans took the Aeneid at face value as a great poem and witheld the stamp of historicity for the more rigorously researched genre of historical prose.

<snip>

[Adam 6] In many ways the educated Roman approach to religion was pragmatic and modern, a point I've always found fascinating. Hope I didn't waste too much space to expand on a small point but I feel it may be relevant to Virus' overall mission.

[/quote]

[Hermit 7] This is not a trivial point at all.

[Hermit 7] I am in complete agreement with you on all of your observations and for demonstrating the value of a classical education.

[Hermit 7] Thank-you for an exceptionally well researched and written post.

Kind Regards

Hermit

----
This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=25464>