Re: virus: IRC - Killing is too good for them

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 20:08:11 MDT

[irvken] Computer criminals - should they remain unpunished?

[Hermit] The punishment is ridiculously out of proportion, introduced by
people who don't understand the environment and thus introduciung punishment
for "slippery slope" threats.

[ben] Oh cripes, I come here to get _away_ from that argument... OK then. A
brief rundown of thoughs:

1: Yes they should be punished. No they should not all be treated as
terrorists.
2: If I hear the word 'cyberterrorism' one more time I may slap someone...
3: Life imprisonment should be reserved for crimes the lawmakers understand.
4: The first homicide perpetrated entirely in software is still homicide,
and should be punished 'solely' as such.
5: In the same spirit, online theft is theft. Punish accordingly. Do Not
Panic.

I'm with Hermit on this one - if we start to punish everyone who does
anything that 'may' put other people's lives at risk, we will have nobody
left outside.

-ben