Re: Re:virus: this is the world we live in...death comes in threes

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 16:07:42 MDT

[bricoleur]
> This, more than any other thing, is what psychedelics taught me. Still
think
> its cheating?

Thanks for a really lovely post!!

Actually, I think your experience with psychadelics has been enhanced by
your obviously thoughtful and analytical nature.

There is no Path. There is no Destination. There is no cheating, either.
I spoke hastily. But you concede that most people who use psychadelics use
them in an infantile, reactionary way without the kind of thought that
you've obviously put into it. The nice thing is that we hear a lot from the
people who use them well because they're excited about the things they've
found!

Psychadelics are totally useful for breaking down barriers but they don't
hold secrets, only keys. I have nothing against them, I only hope that most
use them the way that you have.

I am turned off by the theories that psychadelics are what made humanity out
of animals - enabling language and such. Does that mean that we are
inventing interesting new things to entertain ourselves with, or does that
mean that we are tapping into something that does exist (and has always)?
Are the drugs bringing out lovely & useful mental aberrations, or are they
giving us a leg up to evolutionary destiny? That's the part where I am wary
of drug-induced revelation - it's hard to know where the line between
entertainment and enlightenment lies when you're stoned/tripping/whatever.
I've had a lot of really amazing ideas while on drugs that don't fit when
I'm not - but the residue of the feeling is totally real and valuable. Am I
being clear at all?