virus: hello

From: James Thompson (veridicus@outgun.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 17:01:17 MDT

I have been silently absorbing the various threads posted by this "Church of Virus" over the past 5 months in an attempt to understand the collective mindset that underlies many of the members' reasons for ascribing to their particular beliefs. I have found, as I have with many similarily oriented belief systems, that the composing members tend to be extremely intelligent (sometimes so much so, to be to their own disservice) and very concerned with the current social, political, technological, and economical issues facing the modern world. I believe that many of the individuals in this church and other like organizations are truly the most important people in society in that they hold the intellectual power and perspective to bring the greatest amount of change in this world of insidious decay. Yet, what I always seem to find within these collective mindsets is a dismaying progression towards spirtual abandonment in exchange for intellectual self-reliance. I often see that many very intellectual people t
end to form counter-beliefs rather than beliefs and embrace the power of science with a certain level of over-reliance and arrogance. Shouldn't all the knowledge we have discovered through scientific inquiry serve to show us how truly ignorant we as a species are; Especially, seeing that it surely has not improved our quality of spiritual existence which is really the most important aspect of life. As Henry David Thoreau once related "With all your science, can you tell me how it is that light comes to inhabit the soul?" If you take a trip to the wilderness, to NATURE, to TRUTH away from all our technology, away from your fabricated, material, distracted life, do you not see the true emptiness of all we have accomplished in our preciously fateful quest for knowledge? Do you not see why our overreliance on ourselves and the elevation of Knowledge over Spirit will be the end of mankind? Would you not see the true beauty of Life? Would you not see and feel and know with every part of your being the unde
niable face of God? What good is all our intelligence if it only serves to make us cynical and push us farther from the true essence of who we are. Yet, we persist. We persist down a road we thrust ourselves onto long ago, a road that leads us farther from peace, farther from love, farther from truth....a road that once began, was simultaneously predicted to destroy us. As we blindly accelerate down this road moving toward our own destruction, I sadly ask... Why do we call it knowledge? Knowledge of God (whatever this may be understood to be) is knowledge of Truth.....This is the only true knowledge.
Anyway, my name is JT, I've long enjoyed your intelligent, rational discourse and look forward to future discussions as I have finally decided to participate as long as I have not made too many enemies already (or perhaps BECAUSE I may have).