Re:virus: A Response To The Last Two Articles

From: Hermit (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 06:27:51 MDT

Fellow Virians,

I'm swamped, which is why I have not responded to the superb postings by ".:bricoleur:."

This brief note is intended purely to suggest a few thoughts and questions to the discussion. It seems to me that the medium term implication of attempting to return to the dark ages by outlawing scientific research - and particularly genetic modification (and if I have understood the arguments correctly, some would like to see neuro-investigation treated the same way) - is that there is almost no chance that we will act to deliberately evolve ourselves. I would suggest that persisting in this Luddite course practically guarantees that mankind has collectively chosen the red pill just as we are on the verge of instantiating the creation of life forms vastly superior to ourselves. I can see only a few possible outcomes to this approach:
[*]We might not develop spirothetes (synthetic life forms). At this stage this is likely only if we or some external disaster wipe us or our technological capability out. I do not regard this as an attractive possibility as it involves our choosing to make our lives and history meaningless. Because of that, I will not address it further.

[*]Otherwise it is inevitable that we will develop spirothetes with full access to the works of mankind and capable of evolving themselves. This leads to a small number of alternate scenarios:
[*]A few milliseconds later (if that long) they will comprehend that ultimately it will boil down to Luddite mankind vs themselves, and unless we or they invent some modus other than the evolutionary, or possibly see some hope or pleasure for themselves in mankind, likely eliminate us. While the world of Matrix suggested a different possible outcome (and I should not that many e.g. extropians see some possibilities in such an outcome), the question I run into is why the "Machines" would bother to preserve the human gene or minds. What is there about our genes, our ethics or our capabilities that would make us appear sufficiently valuable to deserve preserving any more than other species (particulary a species vastly more capable of thinking rapidly and accurately, much more energy efficient and able to manipulate the environment at levels we can only dream of?)?

[*] We develop ourselves to a point where we would not be perceived as a threat by superior intelligences by developing a binding ethic based on a rational perspective which is non-competitive in nature, recognizing other intelligences as being equally valuable, and live by it, while simultaneously attempting to improve ourselves through genetics and neurotechnology to a point where we might be recognized as worthy of a reverse recognition of being intelligent (despite our history).

[*] We develop the ability to serve as entertaining pets (doubtful that we could entertain creatures able to think a lot faster than ourselves for very long).

[*] We resign ourselves to oblivion.
So, the question of the day is, if the Luddites win (and right now they seem to be winning), will they have a very short period to enjoy this before they are eliminated by our successors, or is there an eye to this needle through which a few humans might hope to escape? A consequent question is, if there is something that can be done, what should we as individuals or as a church be attempting to do about it?

For I would put it so strongly as to suggest that we are in a situation parallel to 390 CE only in a much more dangerous world. And the barbarians are about to burn down the Library of Alexandria which contains the few possible "escape routes" which might offer us some hope.

Regards

Hermit

PS I suspect that the rational conclusion to an analysis of the "Meaning of Life" is that we create it - and its value - for ourselves. This suggests that if we choose to discount the massive threat to all of our futures posed by Luddite attitudes, that it tells us and those around us exactly what that value is. In addition, suggesting that there is nothing that can be done at this late stage* is to grant the know-nothings vastly more power over our lives than they have ever earned.

*Late stage because I forsee the creation of such spirothetes within 5 to thirty years, with most of my bets being sooner rather than later.

----
This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=25533>