virus: An apology

From: irvken (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 08:08:46 MDT

over 70 posts ( I stopped counting) to the bbs and the list in the last three days, the vast majority complete garbage. Any fanatic is quite able to spend their time doing this sort of thing whatever creed they BELIEVE in.

It is at this point that I feel that I owe the congregation an apology. I only joined the CoVs discussions in March this year and then only contributed via IRC, which is the medium I feel most comfortable in. I used the BBS, then eventually the list, as resources for chatting in IRC which was my first introduction to CoV, and was rarely tempted to contribute in other media being an inveterate list lurker of many years standing. Why change the habits of a lifetime. However I was intrigued by references to the then absent Joe Dees and trawled the archives looking at stuff he had written. I had come across Joe before on the Extropians mailing list to which I have been a subscriber for many years and he had always impressed me with his logic and tenacity in the interminable "G*N Wars" on that list. As is my pandoric tendency I mailed him privately and told him I had enjoyed his Best of Virus postings and asked him what he was up to now, and the result was ...

As I said above, I joined the list in March when it appeared to me that all the forums were exemplary showcases of educated debate and the whole project a worthy attempt to find some path through the future for humanity that would not be too painful or timid. However, I now feel that I have somehow contributed to the virtual destruction of the Church as a worthwhile vehicle by encouraging back to engagement someone who appears to be not quite well, and who apparently has the time and the inclination to engage in that destruction. I am truly, truly sorry.

But I have a solution, ban the fucker!

----
This message was posted by irvken to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=26701>