Re: virus: Re: 9-11 Lottery Number

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 14:01:57 MDT

I suspect that there are some virians who did not hold their breath while waiting for my explanation for the 9/11 lottery numbers. Anyway, here it is:

The lottery drawing was not the only event that happened on 9/11 2002 in New York City which involved numbers. I am sure these three digits regularly appear at many instances every day. The only thing requiring a favorable probability is that these numbers had to appear at an event -- any event -- worthy of the media.

By the way, I posted a good article (or so I think) about coincidences from the Skeptic newsletter on the BBS:

http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=1&action=display&threadid=26678&start=0Hn‡

The Power of Coincidence
David G. Myers

<snip>

We've all marveled at such coincidences in our own lives. Checking out a photocopy counter from the Hope College library desk, I confused the clerk when giving my six-digit department charge number-which just happened at that moment to be identical to the counter's six-digit number on which the last user had finished. Shortly after my daughter, Laura Myers, bought two pairs of shoes, we were astounded to discover that the two brand names on the boxes were "Laura" and "Myers."

And then there are those remarkable coincidences that, with added digging, have been embellished into really fun stories, such as the familiar Lincoln-Kennedy coincidences (both with seven letters in their last names, elected 100 years apart, assassinated on a Friday while beside their wives, one in Ford's theater, the other in a Ford Motor Co. car, and so forth). We also have enjoyed newspaper accounts of astonishing happenings, such as when twins Lorraine and Levinia Christmas, driving to deliver Christmas presents to each other near Flitcham, England, collided.

My favorite is this little known fact: In Psalm 46 of the King James Bible, published in the year that Shakespeare turned 46, the 46th word is "shake" and the 46th word from the end is "spear." (More remarkable than this coincidence is that someone should have noted this!)

What shall we make of these weird coincidences? Was James Redfield right to suppose, in The Celestine Prophecy, that we should attend closely to "strange occurrences that feel like they were meant to happen"? Is he right to suppose that "They are actually synchronistic events, and following them will start you on your path to spiritual truth"? Without wanting to rob us of our delight in these serendipities, much less of our spirituality, statisticians assure us that the coincidences tell us nothing of spiritual significance.

<snip>

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=26680>