Re: virus: Re:Possibly not important

From: Jkr438@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 17:29:51 MDT

    In a message dated 5/23/2003 2:25:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
    billroh@churchofvirus.com writes:

    You are right, that was a strong choice of words - and we do have
    varrying skills. But we have very few, if any, doctorate level
    participants - and very few discussions that ever get that deep. You
    don't talking about serious details very often. We make good
    businessmen, students, programmers, geeks, ex-military, we have a lawyer
    and a Dr of Pharmacy and a lot of in betweens. But we don't have any
    anthropologists, sociologists, chemists, biologists, doctors,
    physists... We have a lot of people with a lot of reading and a little
    experience.

    [Jake] As the lawyer, I would also like to claim my background in sociology.
    I started out as a sociology major in undergrad. After a few years of it, I
    abandoned the field in disillusion and widened my major to Social Sciences in
    order to get a better background in history and political science. At the
    time, and as far as I can still tell sociology continues to be a waste of time
    field driven more by ideology than any scientific basis. The only thing
    worthwhile I got out of it was a basic understanding of statistics, an area that
    sociology has no monopoly over. The rest of it was just a spewing of liberal
    ideology. As a liberal myself, I have no real allergy to the ideas, but I was a
    bit disappointed in the pretense of scientific basis that the field claimed for
    this agenda. To me memetics, as a biologically based mythology about
    sociology and culture is at least more ideologically neutral and intellectually
    honest and many of its adherents do not hold to any pretenses of its supposed
    scientific foundations. Some do, of course, but I find them in the minority of
    self-proclaimed memeticists. Often the "more serious" scholars, doctorate level
    etc., are simply the more indoctrinated and deluded. What I find more
    refreshing is a serious commitment reason and rational criticism. Many of the more
    serious participants in CoV do have at least a Bachelor's degree education, and
    have somewhere along the line achieved more appreciation for reason and
    rationality than many post graduate level educated people. I still hold a bit of
    respect for people with more education in the more real sciences like biology,
    chemistry, physics etc. (though many physicists have now descended in a lot of
    pseudo-science themselves as research opportunities in their own field has
    dried up in the last 20 or so years and their dreams scientific priesthood have
    more or less been flushed down the toilet).

    The lack of doctorate level indoctrination in our ranks does not cause me any
    real despair. The diversity of real world experience, the ability to
    intelligently articulate our ideas, and our capacity for and/or openness to rational
    criticism in my mind makes our community more intellectually exciting and open
    to possibility than many of the more indoctrinated communities I have
    encountered or participated in. Sure, there are some hard hitting academics that I
    would love to see participating here, but there are plenty more who are simply
    deluded by their own credentials and indoctrination whom I don't have the time
    of day to waste on.

    I don't think that we have ever held ourselves out to be any more than a
    community with an interest in science and religion and a dedication to reason,
    empathy, and vision. As such I have been far less disappointed in it than I have
    been in other more academically indoctrinated communities.

    This thread seems to capitalize on some people's insecurities about lack of
    higher (post-grad) education credentials. As such I think it is definitely not
    important. More often than not, those who go on to get such credentials do
    so out of their own lack of sense and drive to make real world accomplishments
    out of their more basic education. The ivory towers are largely full of
    people who are hiding from the real world for whatever reason. If that is the
    "lack of experience" we are talking about I certainly don't miss it. I will take
    real experience over that.

    Love,

    -Jake