Re:virus: Facts on illegal immigrant health care costs to the rest of "us"

From: Kharin (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 13:19:14 MDT

    Hmm. I've been pondering this one of late. During the 19th century Thomas Carlyle led denunciation of the migration of Irish Labourers into Britain. However, cheap labour from Ireland was largely responsible for much industrial development at that time. In fact, the wages were so low that comparisons with earlier slaves were not entirely inappropriate. Looking at current debates, I wonder if much has changed; large swathes of the British economy are dependent on such labour. For example, from the FT:

    "The first job of the day is easy. A quick call to a flat near Sloane Square. A check on a newly fitted gas boiler. ... The whole operation would be unremarkable except that all the workmen here are Polish, three of tens of thousands of Poles and east Europeans employed in the London building industry...."

    http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1054966026238&p=1012571727132

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28582>