virus: The Borg or Borges?

From: bricoleur (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 01:52:20 MDT

    William Irwin Thompson
    The Borg or Borges?

    It is a paradox of the work of Artificial Intelligence that in order to
    grant consciousness to machines, the engineers first labour to subtract
    it from humans, as they work to foist upon philosophers a caricature of
    consciousness in the digital switches of weights and gates in neural
    nets. As the caricature goes into public circulation with the help of
    the media, it becomes an acceptable counterfeit currency, and the
    humanistic philosopher of mind soon finds himself replaced by the
    robotics scientist. This atmospheric inversion from above to below, one
    in which a sky turns into the smog of a thickened air, happened once
    before in the world of knowledge, when Comtian positivism inspired a
    functionalist approach to the study of the sacred. The social scientists
    first said that in order to study the sacred, one had to study how it
    functioned in society; then having contributed to the growth of their
    own academic domain, they more confidently claimed that what humans
    worshipped with the sacred was, in fact, their own society. There simply
    was no such thing as God or the sacred, and so Schools of Divinity began
    to be eclipsed by the elevation of the new towers of the office
    buildings of the Social Sciences. Indeed, as I turn now away from my
    computer screen, I can see outside my window the William James Building of Social Relations competing for domi-nance of the skyline with the Victorian brick Gothic of Harvard's Memorial Hall.

    This clever move to eliminate the phenomenological reality of human
    con-sciousness as a prelude to the growth of a new robotics industry is
    a very successful scam, for it has helped enormously with the task of
    fund-raising for costly moon shots, such as the Japanese government's
    'Fifth Generation Computer Project' which promised to create an
    autonomously thinking machine in the 1980s. No one seems to talk much
    anymore about the failure of this project, but the gurus of A.I.
    continue to prophesy - as Ray Kurzweil now does - that by 2030, humans
    will be surpassed by machines in cultural evolution.

    Both the mechanists and the mystics say that we are now at a great
    bifurcation in human evolution. The mechanists like Ray Kurzweil, Danny Hillis and Hans Moravec prophesy that we are at the end of the human era, and that 'nanobots' are about to be embedded in our bodies until our antique organs of flesh are entirely surrounded by a new silicon noosphere of networked computers . . .

    Full text: http://www.imprint.co.uk/pdf/WI_Thompson.pdf

    ----
    This message was posted by bricoleur to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28741>