Re:virus: Facts on illegal immigrant health care costs to the rest of "us"

From: Kharin (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 12:08:52 MDT

    "The system was created to cater to the medical needs of
    the citizenry - trivial or serious. "

    Actually, I don't think that's true. Bevin expected NHS usage to decrease over time as national health improved. It didn't, and, to the contrary, demand continued to outpace supply. As far as I can tell no account was ever taken that demands no the service would ever be anything other than the most acute, which is why rationing in one form or another has never too far from political discussion since then.

    The greatest irony here is that the most significant threat to the NHS lies with Britain's ageing population leading both to increased health costs and decreased tax revenue. My own suspicion is that many of these social services you draw attention will go the same way as those in New Zealand as a consequence of these changes.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28582>