virus: Biochemical Pathways Leading to Apoptosis OR Only the Good Die Young

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 15:47:30 MDT

    Biochemical Pathways Leading to Apoptosis

    Xiaodong Wang, Ph.D. Investigator, University of Texas Southwestern
    Medical Center at Dallas

    Biography...

    when and how cells die by apoptosis, using cultured human cells as a
    model system.

    Individual cells that are no longer needed or are damaged beyond repair
    undergo apoptosis, a form of cell death that is controlled and executed
    by intrinsic cellular programs. The proper execution of apoptosis is
    critical for the development, maintenance of organ homeostasis, and
    elimination of virally infected or tumorgenic cells in multicellular
    organisms. Therefore, an understanding of the apoptotic program at the
    molecular level is of both theoretical and practical importance.

    If any of you amateur chemists would like to frick with this fun little
    pathway, you can order your starter set here:

    http://www.tocris.com/1758fs.htm

    AND, remember, only the good die young.

    Walter
    <who is in a strange, Rube Goldberg-like mood today>
    -----------------------------------

    Only The Good Die Young
    Steve Harris, Bruce Dickinson

    The demon in your mind will rape you in your bed at night
    The wisdom of ages, the lies and outrages concealed
    Time it waits for no man
    My future it is revealed
    Time it waits for no man
    My fate is sealed

    If I cancel tomorrow the undead will thank me today
    Fly in the face of your prophets I mock your morality plays
    The moon is red and bleeding
    The sun is burned and black
    The book of life is silent
    No turning back

    Only the good die young
    All the evil seem to live forever
    Only the good die young
    All the evil seem to live forever
    Only the good die young
    Only the good die young

    Mystery madman a victim of cruel charade
    Some innocent pawn in an end game one more stalemate
    Is death another birthday?
    A way to kiss your dreams goodbye?
    Do the undead live within us
    And look through our eyes?

    Walking on water are miracles all you can trust
    Measure your coffin does it measure up to your lust?
    So I think I'll leave you
    With your bishops and your guilt
    So until the next time
    Have a good sin