Re: virus: Re:Big Bang alternatives, anyone?

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 16:15:59 MDT

    Sorry, I meant to add this URL to the end of previous post.

    Walter

    http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/physicsfaq/Relativity/BlackHoles/hawking.html

    Hermit wrote:

    <snip>

    > [hr]http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cosmology-02c.html
    >
    > Hermit opines - "Quite possible, but not, on its face, sufficiently persuasive to overturn the BB model - and not appearing to make useful predictions which could be used to evaluate the goodness of the model."
    >
    > I think I'm with Steinhart on this oneThe new theory provides possible answers to several longstanding problems with the big bang model, which has dominated the field of cosmology for decades. It addresses, for example, the nagging question of what might have triggered or come "before" the beginning of time.Unlike Steinhart, I see the "standard theory" as having provided us with a number of falsifiable predictions - some of which have been validated (Refer e.g. Hermit, Age of the Universe, 2003-07-04 (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=28792)). As for this "new theory", which is not, I think, particularly new, I see it as interesting speculation, although it seems to me that it conflicts with our reluctant (but general) acceptance that Omega appears more and more likely to be less than 1 (i.e. the Universe will keep expanding). Against this, Science is peer reviewed, and thus it is probable that the article is well reasoned and does not c!
    > ontain any major contradictions with known evidence. Ask me again in 20 years.

    <snip>

    My deep suspicion is we will never fully understand the inflation that
    took place in the first moments of the BB as I theorize it was an
    artifact of two closed and distinct sets of physical laws whose margins
    momentarily "instantiated" a chasm beyond which we may not peer.

    However, there is that damnably alluring "Hawking Radiation" which
    Hermit posits might contain some data which addresses the chasm.

    Walter

    --
    Walter Watts
    Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.