virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians

From: athenonrex (athenonrex@godisdead.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 13:46:16 MDT

    i, personally, am all for expansion and further development. but at the same time, are we not attempting to be selective with who we seek out? aren't we seeking a certain type of person?

    if we aren't, i think i've missed the point a good deal myself (as i have acused joe dees of many times).

    'twas to my understanding that we at Virus were seeking out people that were (while not necessarily of like mind) similarly structured intellectually, emotionally and memetically. bringing in compatible formatting while maintaining intellectual and ideological diversity to fill in our own sink holes and gaps.

    the reason i play devil's advocate so much is that so much, historically, has come from someone questioning one thing or another. in fact, it is the hallowed Socratic Method that i am practicing (or trying to). and i would rightfully have someone do the same for me, were i able to find someone able, ready and willing.

    as of late though, emphasis has been placed into more of a consensus oriented mentality. while i notice and recognize the potential good this can do for us, should we really be concerned about the "aquisition" (so to speak) of new members? i mean, if we can't agree on much right now, as it is, then perhaps soliciting and spreading new memberships should be placed on a backburner. i introduce people and try to get other people involved, but only people that i assertain would both benifiet from this group and would also in turn benifiet the group as a whole. so far, few people i have found fit both criteria.

    and almost as an exercise in random, it was mere chance that i found this web site/mailing list/community roughly three years ago (i forget exactly how long ago it was). it clicked. it worked for me. it was sweet.

    almost a year later, i ended up leaving the group for exactly what is going on now. only to return within a week or two. something drew me back here. i am a virian. for better or worse, i think this is a cause with sticking with.

    here i've occasionally found people who agree with me wholeheartedly. but moreso, i've found a diversity that satiates my thirst. a diversity of ideas and resources that just aren't readily available for me elsewhere. and if we can sort things out, and continue moving forward, so we can actively apply natural selection within our own community and bring in memetic diversity (if memes are to though what genes are to DNA, perhaps lack of memetic diversity is equatable to inbreeding?) to keep us changing, adapting, and generally evolving.

    i do not believe that any split would benifiet either group, or the whole. of course, that is my opinion, and i could very well be wrong. but, it is something to consider.

    -putting down the faux horns and being something other than devil's advocate for once,
    athenonrex

    ----
    This message was posted by athenonrex to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28917>