virus: Black Church Offers Money to Lure Whites

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 11:11:56 MDT

    Do we have anything in the budget for this, David?

    Black Church Offers Money to Lure Whites

    Aug 1, 8:18 am ET

    NEW ORLEANS, La. (Reuters) - A black Baptist minister looking to
    diversify his church wants to pay white people to attend his sermons.
    For the month of August, whites who go to Greenwood Acres Full Gospel
    Baptist Church in Shreveport, Louisiana, will get $5 an hour on Sundays
    and $10 an hour on Thursdays, Bishop Fred Caldwell told Reuters on
    Thursday.

    Caldwell said his 5,000-member church has been almost exclusively black
    since it was founded in 1958, which he thinks was not the way Jesus
    wanted it.

    "The most segregated hour in America, depending on the time zone, is 11
    o'clock Sunday morning," he said.

    Caldwell first announced the offer in his sermon on Sunday, telling the
    congregation the money would come out of his own pocket, not church
    coffers. Supportive members have offered to help pay.

    So far, he said, the church has gotten more than 100 phone calls from
    whites wanting to attend, with many offering to forgo the money. The
    motives of those who want the cash are not questioned, Caldwell said.

    "Jesus said that we're to fish for men," he said. "I'm just using money
    to fish with."

    Caldwell said his budget is limited to several thousand dollars and for
    now the offer will go only to whites. Hispanics, Asians and other ethnic
    groups will have to wait.

    "I'm only paying for white folks in August," Caldwell said. "We'll
    probably move on to other ethnic groups from there."

    --
    Walter Watts
    Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.