virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians

From: Joe Dees (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 13:40:51 MDT

    Two Points:
         1) The ratings scheme, while sincerely intended, is wide open to abuse, since it depends upon the objective evaluation of
    transparently biased people. I already have a mental picture of hermit licking the pavlovian spittle from his jowly chops at the
    juicy prospect of he and his ideological minions reflexively smiting all the posts authored by people on their Nixonian political
    enemies list, regardless of their objective merit, in order to drive them to the 1-banning stage, and thus enforcing a partisan
    party-line conformity upon the CoV, and likewise knee-jerk applauding each other, regardless of whether such applause is actually
    deserved by the content of their posts. He himself forsaw/admitted as much with his statement that "...little or no material of the
    kind that I labelled as "conservative", "NeoCon" or "knee jerk Republican" is going to be visible to the outside world." Notice
    that this material does not have to actually FIT such labels; it is only necessary for its exclusion for hermit and his minions to
    so label it
         2) The idea of 'wings' of the CoV runs foursquare counter to the concept of truth, which is singular, not multiple, and which
    ideally should be determined by means of intersubjective concensus, by combining varying perspectives upon the selfsame object. I
    think that the truth of matters under dispute should be settled by clothing the skeleton of logical argument with the flesh of
    supporting evidence. As the saying goes, a person with one watch always knows what time it is; a person with two watches is never
    sure.

    ----
    This message was posted by Joe Dees to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28917>