virus: NOAA satellite image composite of the 2003-08-15 East Coast Blackout

From: Hermit (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 19:31:30 MDT

    Posted on this thread at http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54 is a composite satellite image showing the extent of the
    blackout. This has not been sent to the list due to the 120kb image size.

    To learn more about the how and why's, I suggest reading the following stories in order.
    'Power outage traced to dim bulb in White House' (http://www.smirkingchimp.com/article.php?sid=12657&mode=nested&order=0ài
    Bush says grid collapse served as 'wake-up call' (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/0803/blackout/17energy.html)
    Delusions of power' (http://www.smirkingchimp.com/article.php?sid=10765&mode=nesteduggest that this sequence demonstrates both
    why the problem occurred, and why it is going to happen again.

    A better, readily available and implementable answer, which would:[*]cost less,
    [*]be far "greener"
    [*]use much less fuel than existing systems
    [*]make us independent of the utilities whose greed and shortsightedness caused this situation
    [*]prepare us for expected future developments
    [*]make us largely immune to terrorism, and
    [*]obsolete the grid.This is the implementation of distributed micro-cogeneration facilities, which are realisable today at a price
    which ensures repayment of investment within three years. I very much doubt that this will even be discussed as it puts absolutely
    nothing into the pockets of the politicians. Funny how much influence $16 million can buy. Particularly when the cost of this one
    blackout, enabled by our trough-addicted, vision impaired politicians has run to over $1.15 billion*.
    [hr]
    *
    Source: news.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6977392%255E1702,00.html)
    Authors: Not Cited
    Dated: 2003-08-16

    Cost of US blackout passes $1bn

    THREE days after the largest blackout in the history of North America, the New York City Council estimates the costs of the outage
    at $1.15 billion.

    New York City bridges and tunnels have been re-opened, and commuter rail officials expect to resume normal service today.

    Ten of the subway system's 24 main lines are working just after midnight yesterday.

    While supermarkets and shops experienced a huge loss in sales, this was partially offset by purchases of beverages, canned products,
    batteries, torches and transistor radios.

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29054>