RE: virus: Fred Reed on Religion...

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 14:29:01 MDT

     [Hermit] Yet causation is an illusion, which our brains create for us.
    This is not a matter of speculation, it is a matter of very solid
    fundamental physics (think Bell inequalities, spooky action and
    Heisenberg). When you have read the expansion and links above, and if
    needed done additional research (Weinberg and Feynman are good starting
    points on the physics aspects), I'll be expecting your apology.

    [Blunderov] Thanks for keeping me clear on that one as well Hermit! (BTW
    I for one have been relishing your Fred dissection. I have no problems
    about being hostile to and about theists. We have been polite for far
    too long.) I somehow have a tendency, in my weaker moments, to wander of
    into a notion that indeterminacy is a defect in the universe rather than
    my own attention. I swear it's true. It's a terrible temptation and I
    don't seem to ever be able to free myself of it entirely.

    This seems a good opportunity to visit one of my favourite quotes on
    everyone in case I haven't already. To those of you who have seen it
    before, apologies.

    <q>
    Photons do not exist by themselves. All that exists by itself is an
    unbroken wholeness that presents itself to us as webs of relations.
    Individual entities are idealizations which are correlations made by us.

    In short, the physical world, according to quantum mechanics, is:...not
    a structure built out of independently existing unanalyzable entities,
    but rather a web of relationships between elements whose meanings arise
    wholly from their relationships to the whole.
    Stapp
    </q>

    I found this in a book called "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" which I can
    recommend as a good read for anyone who wants a non-mathematical
    explanation of quantum mechanics. Regrettably IMV, Gary Zukav seems
    subsequently to have wandered off into some metaphysical zone which is
    of little interest.(To me anyway.) I think he is peddling some sort of
    notion pertaining to the universal 'soul' whatever that is. To quote
    Zaphod Beeblebrox, "I want it taken out and shot right now". Be that as
    it may...

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/055326382X/103-1678506-174
    5432?v=glance

    <q>
    Amazon.com
    At an Esalen Institute meeting in 1976, tai chi master Al Huang said
    that the Chinese word for physics is Wu Li, "patterns of organic
    energy." Journalist Gary Zukav and the others present developed the idea
    of physics as the dance of the Wu Li Masters--the teachers of physical
    essence. Zukav explains the concept further:

    The Wu Li Master dances with his student. The Wu Li Master does not
    teach, but the student learns. The Wu Li Master always begins at the
    center, the heart of the matter.... This book deals not with knowledge,
    which is always past tense anyway, but with imagination, which is
    physics come alive, which is Wu Li.... Most people believe that
    physicists are explaining the world. Some physicists even believe that,
    but the Wu Li Masters know that they are only dancing with it.
    The "new physics" of Zukav's 1979 book comprises quantum theory,
    particle physics, and relativity. Even as these theories age they
    haven't percolated all that far into the collective consciousness;
    they're too far removed from mundane human experience not to need
    introduction. The Dancing Wu Li Masters remains an engaging, accessible
    way to meet the most profound and mind-altering insights of 20th-century
    science. --Mary Ellen Curtin
    </q>

    Fond Regards
    Blunderov