RE: virus: Fred Reed on Religion...

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 10:03:18 MDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of
    Hermit
    Sent: 03 September 2003 12:04
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: Re:virus: Fred Reed on Religion...

    [Jonathan 2] This appears to be a handy cop out. "Before" refers to
    time/space and since time/space only started at Big Bang, there can be no
    "before" Big Bang. Only that is the very problem: From whence/what comes
    space/time?

    [Hermit] From a gravitational fluctuation in the quantum flux. Happens all
    the time. We've measured it. Hint: Zero Point Energy. All is made clear
    here. Please read the many-times-provided link
    (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=32;action=display;threadid=284
    97;start=0) before you make statements which run counter to the well
    accepted consensus position (or become abusive). I can't summarise it in a
    line which will somehow convey all of the state of cosmology to you. You
    have to be prepared, willing and have the time to do some work yourself.

    [Jonathan 3] I think Rhino did a good job there: "In the core of this line
    of reasoning we find the same old "paradox": Neither a (spacially) infinite
    universe nor a (spacially) finite universe is acceptable by our perception
    and our logic. If the universe is finite, what if we take one more step. If
    time has a beginning, what was there one minute before? And still, how can
    we accept infinity in the light of logical arguments such as the one for the
    impossibility of infinite causal regress?...What can we do then? We can make
    any conjectures we want. Our imagination is the limit. If our conjectures
    have any practical implications they can be tested and possibly made into a
    falsifiable scientific theory. If not, we can keep them and talk about them
    if it pleases us or helps us keep our thoughts together, or we can just use
    Occam's razor to discard them."

    Are those who chose to use their imaginations to populate the non-before
    "Big Bang" with a God or "blanket entity" any less rational then those who
    choose not to do so at all?

    Regards

    Jonathan