RE: virus: Fred Reed on Religion...

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 14:57:47 MDT

    > [Jonathan 1] This appears to be a handy cop out. "Before" refers to
    > time/space and since time/space only started at Big Bang, there can be
    no
    > "before" Big Bang. Only that is the very problem: From whence/what
    comes
    > space/time?

    <snip>
    Burnt Norton
    TS Eliot

    Time present and time past
    Are both perhaps present in time future
    And time future contained in time past.
    If all time is eternally present
    All time is unredeemable.
    What might have been is an abstraction
    Remaining a perpetual possibility
    Only in a world of speculation.
    What might have been and what has been
    Point to one end, which is always present.
    Footfalls echo in the memory
    Down the passage which we did not take
    Towards the door we never opened
    Into the rose garden. My words echo
    Thus, in your mind.
                            But to what purpose
    Disturbing the dust on a bowl of rose-leaves
    I do not know...

    ...Or say that the end precedes the beginning,
    And the end and the beginning were always there
    Before the beginning and after the end,
    And all is always now. Words strain,
    Crack and sometimes break, under the burden,
    Under the tension, slip, slide, perish,
    Decay with imprecision, will not stay in place,
    Will not stay still.
    </snip>

    Recordings of 'Burnt Norton' and 'The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock',
    read by TS Eliot himself, can be downloaded free at

    http://digilander.libero.it/ccalbatross/download/eliot.htm

    (I am trying to find a free download of 'The Wasteland' but so far no
    success.)

    Best Regards
    Blunderov