Re:virus: how many e-mails has the Sobig.F. worm released?

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 15:27:21 MDT

    [DrSebby]
    ...what exactly does the Sobig virus do? i did a virus scan a day ago or so...came up with a few copies of some harmless spyware, which i cleaned...and now today, i woke up to find the bootup screen on my computer, but with a long number with dashes in between at the bottom...like a serial # of sorts. anyways, i dont give it much thought and assume my computer crashed during the night somehow. i reboot it...and nothing! the fan goes on,....and it therefore sounds like it's running...but no form of actual life can be detected from the processor! the monitor displays nothing...in fact it doesnt even turn on from it's self-imposed standby mode...which happens when nothing is coming from the processor of course.
    any ideas?

    [rhinoceros]
    Sobig had no damaging payload until the last time I checked. Just spreading itself around and clogging the networks. Probably some other shit happened...

    You'll have to narrow it down. Does the BIOS screen come up when you hit Del (or whatever is the proper key for your machine) at startup? Can you hear hard disk activity (or see the hard disk LED blinking, if there is one)? Can the machine start with a bootable diskette or CD? Can you see if the processor fan is working?

    If it cannot even start with a boot diskette, you will probably have to take it to a repair shop...

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29251>