RE: virus: The Ideohazard 1.1

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 08:59:26 MDT

    Regarding anti-American, I accept your points, but I have a simple use of
    the term. As Hermit might do, I simply restate Webster 1913: "Opposed or
    hostile to the government, official policies, or people of the United
    States." This captures a certain mood, personality and class of acts.
    Anti-Americanism takes myriad forms, but is essentially a constant.

    Why can people fully understand someone being an anti-Semite but cannot
    understand labelling something anti-American? If one is routinely hostile
    towards the USA, I characterize that hostility as anti-American. Simple.

     [Jonathan 1] "That the USA is disliked for simply being powerful is a point
    I have also made elsewhere. "

    Does it not strike you as being at all odd that this powerful state should
    spend so much time enaged in hysterical handwringing over the fact that the
    other children don't want to play with it?

    [Jonathan 2] Does it really? No. It simply is making an effort to establish
    allies and foes. This is both understandable and advisable.

    [Kharin 1] Did Kitchener or Bismarck lose much sleep over that sort of
    thing? At the risk of sounding like a spiked columnist the only thing the
    existence of the term tells us is that US seems to suffer from a certain
    lack of confidence.

    [Jonathan 2] I disagree, the existence of the term arises to meet a very
    real and often unfair hostility towards America and Americans. As you said,
    the term Anti-British had wide currency during the empire precisely because
    it was an empire. Perhaps the same is true of the USA?

    Regards

    Jonathan