RE: virus: communication and body language.

From: Michelle Anderson (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 10:08:38 MDT

    I am a professional performer, so I have had to really get my body
    language on a conscious leash. I did do forensics (stupid name for
    dramatic speaking) and plays in high school briefly, and I've always
    admired an actor's awareness of both his/her own body language and that
    of others. It seems as if the perception and empathy you experience
    increases when you are conscious of the complexity of communication.
    Serves to remind me that the other monkeys are indeed thinking, even if
    it's not obvious by their actions. *snort*

    I do not envy anyone the task of learning or re-learning body language
    from a text. I think a more visceral way of making it genuine and
    unconscious and real is to spend time (a lot) really observing
    interactions (say, on a city sidewalk, at the mall, at a park, whatever)
    and make up scenarios for them by the body language. For example, when
    I was with my ex-wife we used to like to try and find all the other
    lesbian couples on the street. (One common indicator is an easy
    lockstep. Denotes supreme intimacy and is only usually seen in lifelong
    friends, family members and lovers*)

    *That's actually my favorite rule of thumb - match your audience. It's
    kind of like the principle in lovemaking that if your partner does
    something to you, they probably would like it done to them, they
    obviously think it feels good.... So if you want the person you're
    talking to to lower their voice, for example, lower yours. Lead! They
    will follow. Heh heh heh.

    -Michelle