virus: Trolling for Donations for Definitions

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 16:00:58 MDT

    The CoV is continuously getting into situations where access to an authoritive sources would be useful. To begin with, I would suggest at least Encyclopedia Brittanica and the Oxford Dictionary. Neither make it easy to cite from local media (which I have, but as they are Windows only, I'm not running them), Both are bitches to scan from (flimsy, easily damaged pages and tiny text which gives OCR hiccoughs) and both impose drasic restrictions on their use.

    However, both have online facilities, which while expensive for individuals, would be cheap if the cost were shared. At least, if an individual subscription were acquired. To avoid breaking the licencing terms, a "designated researcher" might be established by the group, and this person, probably bot assisted, would make material available to answer questions posed by a closed study group, where material from these sources could be shared and discussed.

    If there is interest in such a facilty, I would be prepared to set something up. The cost would be dependent on the number of members of such a group. Would there be any interest in such a facility?

    Britannica is $59.95 per year and the OED is $295 per year. So $ 360. The OED has to be paid as a single payment for a year.

    How many CoV members would be interested in joining such a group? Naturally the cost per person will be dependent on the number of people joining the group.

    If people reply to this thread showing the maximum contribution they would consider, it will give me an idea as to whether to go ahead with this. Please don't reflect an amount more than you would pay if there is sufficient interest. Once we reach $360 or more in potential subscriptions, I will go ahead.

    Anyone with access to other research material and able and willing to cite it to a closed group might like to mention it on this thread as well.

    Hermit

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29308>