virus: Re:Trolling for Donations for Definitions

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 15:22:44 MDT

    [Hermit]I'm sufficiently confident that it can be accomplished with no more difficulty than any "ordinary" church would have copying parts of a copyright work for the purposes of a "babble study class". Which is, I'd suggest (and argue), the appropriate analogy to be using.

    [Mermaid] TIME OUT. We are *not* YET a church. It's one to think refer to ourselves as 'congregation' and totally another to defend oneself in court over copyright issues, right? And so..we have to revisit the issue of giving ourselves legal status...

    [Mermaid]May I suggest that we register ourselves as a non profit organisation instead of doing the church thingy? Obviously, that aint going to happen anytime before I hit menopause. Our stated goal will be spreading knowledge and rational thought. A non profit organisation(or even a corporation?) that consults parents on how to educate their public school going children beyond what is being thrown at them. Book recommendations and weekly chats. My vision is to make it possible for every child in this world to get a chance at a decent, rational, *practical* education. In the future, I see it beyond a consulting firm. I see published books. I see physical schools. AND...if that doesnt motivate you....I see television interviews..how is that for a carrot?... ;-) Given that Darwin is quite a popular chap and Hypatia is a virtual stranger to most of the world, we can name it Hypatia Foundation or maybe Hypatia's Children(i thought of it when i came across a book called Hypatia's Daughters at the library) ..if
    we dont care to give it a dead chick's name..we always have Radiance...we can be affiliated to the brights(we'll donate a site makeover to them) etc...i am sure dawkins and dennett will have a good word for Hypatia if they can write several hundreds words to push the brights concept...we'll get everyone who is anyone to give us some support and a little shoulder....i will personally *call* everyone to make sure this gets exposure..seriously...do NOT doubt my powers of nagging...

    I think its time we STOP talking and START acting ...wag..wag...blah..blah...doesnt get anyone anywhere...thats all i am saying...

    please..can someone find out how much it will cost? really..folks...lets dust our collective butts and do something worthwhile..i'd rather chip in cash for a productive venture rather than for a group subscription costing $360 to settle disputes over the word 'create'.

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29308>