virus: Re:Trolling for Donations for Definitions

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 16:22:30 MDT

    CoV

    A church is a church when it says it is and behaves like one. We do say the first, and are working on the second. "Official registration" is not necessary for a Church to act and be a church (and a legitimate non-profit). As previously observed, there are many advantages to leaving it informal.
    [hr]
    The Proposed Study Group

    The idea goes a long way beyond "proving" things in discussions (although being able to cite appropriate authortities easily is always useful). I saw it as being more in line with establishing a CoV program authoring high-quality material to publish here and elsewhere under the CoV banner, and to provide authoritive answers to the questions that often crop up in our circles.

    If there is sufficient interest (no sign of that yet), I'm quite happy to carry the "risk" as, so far as I can see (before studying the TOS) there is no real risk involved. In other words, this "study group" can be completely separate to the CoV if this concerns anyone.
    [hr]
    Foundation for Rational Education

    This idea, no matter what it is called, is a very appropriate one - and could work very effectively. "Hypatia's Children" is a brilliantly shiny name. I'd suggest that it should be separate to the CoV, although it might profitably affiliate itself to it and other "atheist churches". I can set up internal regulations and get the paperwork in order to register it. I'd suggest that the first order of the day is to create a set of goals for it, determine the name (remember to make it short, memorable and available as one of the common TLDs) and see if we can raise sufficient funds to register it, and establish a website. An budget of around $200 would cover all of the initial expenses.

    A thread on the CoV BBS for ideas relating to it would, I suggest, be a first order of the day.

    For my initial contribution, I think it should be the Hypatia Foundation, and as and when we have a website up, that we could obtain the hypatia.org domain name.

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29308>