RE: virus: Re: Multitasking and your mind

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 05:03:50 MDT

    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/rgs/alice-table.html

    <q>
    [White Rabbit]
    Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!'...`Oh! the Duchess, the
    Duchess! Oh! won't she be savage if I've kept her waiting!'
    </q>

    (The Site also has the original illustrations which can be saved from
    the browser)

    I sometimes tease Judy that my poor thin, weedy brain-stem (as opposed
    to her vigorous, trunk-like specimen) prevents me from successfully
    undertaking complex tasks. Especially dishwashing. To my amazement, I
    can report that it sort of works. I think she must be reluctant to
    attack my premises.

    Best Regards
    Blunderov

    http://www.msnbc.com/news/750150.asp?vts=092520030215
    <q>
    Sept. 24, 2003 / 8 p.m. ET
           Multitasking and your mind: Are you successfully juggling e-mail,
    instant messaging, phone calls and office shout-outs? If so, this isn't
    your father's old, slow brain.
           During today's Cosmic Chat on MSNBC.com, neuropsychiatrist
    Richard Restak said the next generation's gray matter is evolving to
    match the faster pace of society, while some of us in the over-30 crowd
    might be better off staying in the slow lane.
           As documented in his new book, "The New Brain," multitasking
    isn't for everyone. Historically, studies have shown that most people
    cannot do two tasks efficiently at the same time. One of the key
    messages from "The New Brain" is that modern technology promotes
    societal attention-deficit disorder - and that the brain works less
    efficiently when it's juggling more than one thing at a time.
           But there are exceptions: For example, studies also show that
    surgeons are more alert and accurate if they listen to their favorite
    music as they work. Restak says this may well be because music and
    skilled manual activities draw upon different parts of the brain, thus
    avoiding cerebral interference.
           Also, the next generation seems to be better able to cope with
    multiple inputs. He cited the example of a B-plus student whose parents
    think he would be capable of getting A's - if only he were cut off from
    "distractions" such as the TV, radio, CD players, computers and the
    telephone.
           Such a ban just might backfire, Restak said.
           "He'll probably go from B-plus to C because he's used to all this
    multistuff going on, and he's been able to train himself to work with
    it, whereas someone older would have quite a bit of difficulty," he
    said. "One person's distraction is another person's enrichment."
           So is that a good thing or a bad thing?
           "It's not good/bad, normal/abnormal. It's just what's happening,"
    he said. "The brain is changing. Teenagers have lived in a world where
    this sort of multitasking is taking place, so they will be much more
    efficient at it."
           Restak emphasizes that the brain is a supremely adaptable organ,
    and that new imaging techniques are unraveling more and more mysteries
    about how it works. During the half-hour chat, Restak touched upon a
    wide spectrum of topics, ranging from how geniuses are made, to
    "cosmetic psychopharmacology," to Alzheimer's disease, to the link
    between religious experience and the brain.
           Listen to the whole show and let me know what you think - and
    stay tuned for another Cosmic Chat next week.
    </q>